Monday, January 20, 2014

Weaving with the CCSS

This past week I've continued reading about various Ed Tech topics and am looking forward to participating in the dlt3 MOOC https://courses.mooc-ed.org/dlt3/preview that is starting.  With such a boom in educational technology I hope it gives some insight into how to figure out what direction is best.    I also created another activity for the student I tutor using the Frolyc app https://www.frolyc.com/   For this activity I used the topic of photosynthesis and tried to incorporate a couple of different common core standards (CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.5.7 & CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.5.9).  One thing I really liked about the activity was seeing the student go back to the two different passages about photosynthesis to compose a short answer to a comprehension question and to create and label a diagram showcasing what he learned about photosynthesis.  As a precursor to the activity he watched a short YouTube clip about photosynthesis.  The activity took 20 - 30 minutes to create and the student was engaged throughout the activity.  When he was finished we went back through the activity and he reviewed his answers and explained his diagram to me.  I really like being able to create high interest activities quickly.  Next I'm going to put together an activity about skateboarding.  Having personalized activities keeps the student a lot more interested during our tutoring sessions.

Looking forward to a short but productive week!



No comments:

Post a Comment